Looking for a fun craft to make for your doll this summer? These easy-to-make doll-sized Olympic medals can be made with common household items.
You will need the following items to make your own medals.
Ingredients for salt dough:
Other needed items:
Let's Get Started...
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
Start by making the dough.
1. Mix flour and salt. Add oil.
2. Slowly add water. Start with ¼ cup and add water as needed.
3. Turn the dough out onto a piece of parchment paper or other non-stick surface. Knead until smooth. If the dough is sticky add a bit more flour until smooth. If it is dry and crumbly, add a bit more water until smooth.
4. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to approximately ¼ inch thickness.
5. Cut circles in the dough. We found the lid of a juice container to be just the right size. It measures approximately 1 ½ inches across.
6. Using a toothpick decorate the medals. We found it worked best to gently press our design into the medals rather than try to ‘draw’ the design.
7. Use the end of a straw to make a hole in the top of the medal for a ribbon.
8. Place the medals onto a piece of parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Place in a 250 degree oven for 1 hour, or until completely dried. Allow to cool completely before painting.
9. Paint the front of each medal with acrylic paint. We found metallic acrylic paints at our local craft store, in gold, silver, and bronze, that have lots of shimmer to it.
10. Cover the fronts of each medal with paint and allow to dry completely before painting the backs. If needed apply a second coat of paint, allowing for drying time between each coat of paint. We found two coats gave us a nice shiny finish.
11. When the medals have dried thoroughly, cut a 16 inch length of ¼ or 3/8 inch wide ribbon and thread it through the hole. Tie a knot at the end.
And your Olympic Medals are complete!
Looking for the perfect leotard to pair with your medals? Be sure to check out our Team Spirit Leotard Pattern Hack!
Leave a comment and let us know if you made some awesome medals for your doll!
Yes - I want the Liberty Jane Co. Newsletter!
© 2022 aleksandrajones