“Luxe Cardigan”, by Karen Lorraine Design, is a simple knitting pattern with the option of lacework at the lower edges. The lace pattern (used in this pattern) is based on the popular horseshoe lace pattern. The cardigan is knitted in one piece, leaving just two seams to be sewn together afterward. The pattern is written for flat needles (although you can use circular needles if you desire, as long as you remember the pattern is not written in the round).
This cardigan is a great introduction to lace knitting. You can knit all the lace stitches if you wish, or you can try out the lace pattern on a small area, such as the sleeves. The horseshoe pattern is also quite forgiving, so if you do make an error while learning lacework, it will not be as noticeable as many lace patterns (for example, lace shawls). This is especially true if you try the lace pattern first on the sleeves.
The lacework is made up of simple stitches like the popular yarn over stitch. The “CDD” (Centered Double Decrease) stitch is introduced (with explanations and illustrations). This is an easy stitch (also known as s2kp and s2kp2) which consists of slipping 2 stitches, knitting the next stitch, and then passing the 2 slipped stitches over the knitted stitch. This new stitch adds a pretty raised bar to your lacework.
You may also wish to knit the entire cardigan without any lacework (thus using a stockinette stitch of alternating rows of knit and purl).
This cardigan will fit 14-14.5 inch dolls like Wellie Wishers™ and Hearts for Hearts® dolls. It can also be used for most yarns (and is pictured on the front cover in 100% merino wool).
SKILLS REQUIRED/TECHNIQUES USED
- Knit and purl, cast on and bind off.
- The basic lace stitch of yo.
- The lace stitch CDD (which may be new to you, but is simply slipping 2 stitches, knitting the next stitch, and then passing the 2 slipped stitches over the knitted stitch). The CDD stitch is also known as s2kp and s2kp2.
- Seaming. (Extra instructions for seaming are included.)
- Blocking. (Extra instructions for blocking are included.)
• 2.75mm Needles (US No. 2 needles; UK/Canadian No. 12 needles)
• Yarn 260yds/238m/50g ball. (One ball.) The recommended yarn using the Standard Yarn Weight System is No.1 yarn super fine. This is also known as fingering and baby yarn. You can use sock yarn too, although the nylon content may be less desirable.
• 4 Stitch Holders. These can be used for holding the stitches for the Cardigan’s Sleeves, Back, and one Front while working on the other Front. These stitch holders are optional and I have not used them in this pattern, as you can leave the sections for the Cardigan’s Sleeves, Back, and one Front on the knitting needle.
• 4 Knit Stitch Markers or 4 safety pins. These are used for marking your pattern into the different sections (of Front, Back, and Sleeve pieces).
• Yarn (tapestry) needle for finishing seams
• One button
• Rust-proof pins for Blocking
The yarn I have used to create this pattern is Naturally™, Magic Garden™, Classic, 3ply, (100% NZ Merino Wool; 238m/260yds/50g ball); 1 ball. (Made in New Zealand. Bought in New Zealand.)
The recommended yarn using the Standard Yarn Weight System is No.1 yarn super fine. This is also known as fingering and baby yarn. You can use sock yarn too, although the nylon content may be less desirable.
The aleksandrajones Testers’ group have used the following yarns:
• Knit Picks®, Stroll (with US Size 2 needles).
• An unknown Mexican yarn with wpi=size 1, super fine, fingering weight.
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 38 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full-size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.
Download, Print, Sew!
I love it and you are the best.
She dances and I made 2 out of three for her dolls to match her recital costume. Love the patterns, Easy, quick and so cute!